December 11, 2010

Random Soapbox for Saturday 12/11/10

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... the waiting area at the gate in a terminal is a public place and requires us to be on our best behavior.

And no, I'm not taking a stand on the proper stance width one should take in a public toilette. As I awaited my delayed departure at LaGuardia (apparently, a very common occurrence at that airport), I witnessed a grown child reading aloud to her mother in a packed common area. Before I angered, I ran through the reasons that would allow me to justify the behavior. Was the mother visually impaired? Was this a reverse reenactment of some childhood tradition and the momma needed to be slumberfied before boarding? Were hidden cameras and John Quinones lurking as some "social experiment" was being filmed?

No, nope and not at all. Instead, the drunken daughter was practicing her oratory skills as the mother sat there smiling through a grimace as if she knew of the inconvenience to others but chose to support her child's foibles.

Maybe the new generation has it right. Put in the earbuds, turn on your i-machine of choice, and disconnect from the world around you. Although I'm concerned about the future of faux-connectedness foisted upon us by Facebook, at least I could have read my month old USA Todays in peace!

DEAR SKY STEWARD, PLEASE SHARE YOUR JETIQUETTE:
http://www.dearskysteward.com/

EXCUSE ME, BUT READ ACROSS AMERICA DAY WAS IN MARCH (APPARENTLY):
http://www.cta.org/Parents-and-Community/Read-Across-America/Events.aspx

WWYD:
http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/

No comments:

Post a Comment