December 6, 2010

Random Memorial for Monday 12/6/10

Gone but not forgotten: my time away from NYC.

Heretofore, my one and only time in the Big Apple was when I worked for Gretna Theatre (during the controversial year of Harvey and a too-naked for central PA Frankie) and went to watch auditions in the nineties. But now I've just gotten back from a work trip this week (hence the tardiness in my daily postings), and I can say that I enjoyed myself much more this time around. Twenty years ago, I drew the hasty conclusion that it was too many people in too small a place and that it was not for me. Now, with the experience of a decade in Chicago adjusting my Weltanschaung, it was a much easier experience to handle. It was still a work trip so there wasn't a lot of "tourist time" [ed. note: if reading this aloud, feel free to do it in the key of Vinnie and Paulie bellowing "t-shirt time"], but I did at least get to stand outside of Rockefeller Center (with the 30 Rock theme song blaring in my head) and to be blinded by the lights of Times Square (only in America would a major tourist destination be a basilica of billboards beautifully blaring that we should buy-buy-buy [ed. note: if reading this aloud, feel free to mockingly mimic N'Sync]).

The phrase, "been there, done that, not goin' back" with regards to me spending any time in NYC [ed. note: if reading this aloud, feel free to ask yourself why you're doing that and then to pronouce these letters in the tune of the song from Annie of the same name], you will be missed.

THE ALUMNI OF GRETNA THEATRE:
http://www.gretnatheatre.com/AlumniofGretnaTheatre.htm

GERMAN-ENGLISH WORDS or IT's NOT JUST FOR KINDERGARTEN ANY MORE:
http://www.germanenglishwords.com/

TIMES SQUARE THROUGH THE YEARS:
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/content.php?content=history

No comments:

Post a Comment