July 31, 2010

Random Soapbox for Saturday 7/31/10

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I'm being challenged by an unlikely source to question whether we've all just simply lost our sense of community (and, in the process, wounded our collective humanity). The person leading this charge against my established practices -- John Quinones on the "summer season" of ABC's "What Would You Do". If you haven't caught it, this hidden camera show has been airing on Tu/F with some interesting case studies (hazing, race relations, polygamy). If you can see past the ones that are a little contrived, there are quite a few tidbits to be gleaned about human behavior -- and I have to say that I'm being forced to rethink my big city strategy of "don't make eye contact".

Of course, as with everything, there does have to be a balance (I'd go broke if I gave $1 to every person I see on a weekly basis around town) -- but I have to think that we can reclaim some of what's wrong with our insulated, entitled and selfish culture if we just find some way to reinvigorate our social contract.

[Note: If, over the course of the next few weeks, I get shot down in some scam by some kids pretending to have a seizure at the end of my street, someone should please add a comment to this post warning others. And if that example sounds too specific to be random, I'm going to have to take the 5th.]

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS:
http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/

BUT IF YOU CAN'T MAKE EYE CONTACT, JOIN THIS GROUP DISCUSSION:
http://www.experienceproject.com/groups/Dont-Like-To-Make-Eye-Contact/18381

LOST ISN'T THE ONLY PLACE WHERE ROUSSEAU CAN BE REFERENCED:
http://www.experienceproject.com/groups/Dont-Like-To-Make-Eye-Contact/18381

No comments:

Post a Comment