May 10, 2010

Random Memorial for Monday 5/10/10

Gone but not forgotten: Columbia House tape club.

As I sit here this evening typing away with my laptop on my homemade coffee table (six crates of cassette tapes representing my eclectic musical tastes covered by a glass top -- over 600 opportunities to connect with the soundtrack of my life through the years), I have to recognize how much I miss the chance to use different names to bilk the Columbia House company out of multiple sets of 12 cassettes for a penny all during my college years. I eventually moved to CDs (begrudgingly) and did the same thing, building collections of items from all kinds of artists that I probably could have bought in the bargain bin for 99cents -- but instead I was content paying up to $5 a pop for shipping and handling (because I could buy one and get four free, S&H not included -- so free was more like a relative concept). Then BMG came along and bought them out, giving me an all too brief extension of time for my addiction -- until that stopped and I was cut off cold turkey. Since I'm resisting the igeneration attitude toward music (I have yet to buy a song online), I guess I have to sit surrounded by my generation's version of the eight-track.

The company that provided me with my fix of getting dozens of dozens of low-priced musical collections through the mail (with an occasional CD/cassette tape that I never wanted in the first place but I got because I failed to respond by the imposed deadline), you are missed.

WHAT HAPPENED TO COLUMBIA HOUSE:
http://www.musicservicereviews.com/columbiahouse.php

No comments:

Post a Comment