April 21, 2010

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 4/21/10

Pleonasm; Pleonist; Pleonasochist, Pleonasochistic

Used in a sentence: "Don't tell me the Sunday comics (theme week, theme week!) are for the simple-minded because just a few days ago, I learned the word pleonasm in a strip, which I had to go look up right away because it wasn't in my WordWealth inspired vocab (thanks Mrs. Mills for making me do that exercise every week in 9th and 12th grade)."

And after learning that it meant "the use of more words than are required to express an idea; redundancy; a superfluous word or phrase" and considering how my posts have expanded since this original concept launched, I have to admit that I'm surprised that I haven't heard this phrase (or been accused of being a pleonist or a pleonasochist) before!

If Capricious Cognition doesn't take off, maybe I could relaunch it in a year or so as Pleonasochistic Tendencies -- unless that sounds too much like a college rock band.

VIEW THIS LINK FOR THE COMMENTS ALONE:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080320114535AAjC3iN

No comments:

Post a Comment