April 26, 2010

Random Memorial for Monday 4/26/10

Gone but not forgotten: the record finale of M*A*S*H as the most watched TV event ever.

I like me some TV. With age, it also has become apparent that I like me some classic TV. And, by classic TV, I really mean that I like me some "old-school" episodes of late night TV as defined by TVLand and Nick at Nite.

I had these feelings affirmed twice unexpectedly. I found myself enjoying the TVLand Awards last night watching clips of Love Boat, Bosom Buddies and Everybody Loves Raymond as much for the remembered scenes as for the fun in seeing who was still alive and how they looked years later. And then there was the viewing of the Biography special on M*A*S*H that I caught on my DVR this past weekend, when I found myself pining for the sophisticated comedy of a show that spoke volumes on the horrors of war and the ability of the human spirit to persevere (with just the right touch of surgeon's skirt chasing, hot lips and cross-dressing to make it all the more real in its absurdity). Mind you, I have nothing against February 2010's Super Bowl (particularly after that Betty White commercial for Snickers that set into place her upcoming stint as host of SNL), but knowing that it replaced the M*A*S*H finale as the most watched event ever in TV history does make me just a little sad, in a nostalgic kind of way.

That moment when millions and millions of Americans gathered around the TV set at the same time to slowly realize that the chicken that was silenced on that Korean bus wasn't a chicken at all, you will be missed.

TVLAND AWARDS 2010: http://www.tvland.com/awards2010/allaccess/

GOODBYE, FAREWELL and AMEN: http://www.tv.com/mash/show/119/summary.html

ALAN ALDA COMMENTS ON SAINTS' WIN AND M*A*S*H LOSS:
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d8164bc7b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

No comments:

Post a Comment