April 19, 2010

Random Memorial for Monday 4/19/10

Gone but not forgotten: days of yore when reality competition ideas hadn't infiltrated the Sunday comics.

[BTW -- It's that time of the month -- time for Theme Week. For April, randomly enough, it will be all about that colorful section of the Sunday paper whose very existence might just be threatened.]

The Chicago Tribune started "Comics Carousel" a few weeks back -- and the concept is that they will print two new strips for awhile, and then the readers will vote on which one gets to stay in the rotation. Now that I think about it, maybe that's more like when radio stations play songs "against each other" each night at nine. [Dear I-generation readers: in case you haven't heard of a newspaper, please know that it is primarily an ancient mechanism designed for advertising and the embarrassment of local folks in the police log. Oh ... and a radio is kind of like an I-pod, except someone else choose the songs that are played such that if you want to make a mix-tape, you have to stay by it for hours to catch them playing that song you wanted to hear. But I digress ...] Don't get me wrong -- I like me some reality television, but I'd also like to keep those concepts to one entertainment medium at a time!

Days of reading the Sunday comics without thinking about whom should be voted off, you will be missed.

RULES FOR THE COMICS CAROUSEL (at the bottom of this particular post): http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/tribnation/2010/04/seriously-funny-talking-about-changes-to-our-comics-page.html

No comments:

Post a Comment