February 13, 2010

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/13/10

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

...how lazy have we become? I was on campus today for a work event, and the whole process of "using the washroom (restroom for you East Coasters)" was essentially automated. Sensors opened the door to the facility, sensors flushed the urinal, sensors fed me my ration of soap, sensors determined the velocity of the spray of water to wash my hands and sensors dictated the quantity of paper towels I had to use to dry. [The only thing I still did myself was to shake it after I finished.] At first, the faucet didn't recognize me and I had to survive a momentary advanced technology induced existential crisis -- Am I really here now? Do I exist? Are the machines in control? Do they know something as to why I am not worthy of sensor-recognition? -- but ultimately, I'm left to question, "when did relieving oneself in a public bathroom become such an onerous task that we needed these technological 'improvements' (or are we just that lazy)?"

http://www.notouchbathroom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment