April 19, 2014

Random Soapbox for Saturday 4/19/14

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... it will be my last rave for a few weeks, since I had given up ranting (on Saturdays) for lent, and since lent is now drawing to a close.  Before I return to ranting next week (and yes, Colin K, you will be up first), how's about I close off all this raving with how much I'm enjoying my new Floridian domicile.

If there wasn't a puppy to raise, I'd be tempted to start a new bonus series of posts like I did when I left Chicago ... or when I counted down to the Mayan apocalypse ... but there just aren't enough hours in the day any more to start up one of those.

So let me just say that I so enjoy living close to the water and near enough to hear a train whistle blow when it rolls through this part of town.  The train thing speaks to my younger days, growing up near the tracks in my hometown of Lebanon (although, to be fair, living in the shadow of the el in Chicago for as many years as I did took that whole scene to a different level).  And the water thing has always brought me peace ... from the Quittie in Lebanon and Annville/LVC, to the Rhine for that semester abroad in Germany, to the mighty Susquehanna for those years in Harrisburg, to the expanse of Lake Michigan during my sojourn in Chitown, and now to the nearby little Middle River PLUS the oh-so-close and oh-so-powerful Atlantic Ocean.

But wait ... there's more!  This house allows for multiple home offices (wherever I have power and can get the signal off the modem) ... in the bedroom when the dog is sleeping (the bed serves as a crib since he can't yet jump up and down by himself) ... in the guest bedroom in the mini office space ... on the couch ... on the front porch ... or, best yet, on the new back deck.

Speaking of the new back deck, besides the fact that the puppy can entertain himself for hours back there, playing tug of war with the fence vines, or chasing down the old coconuts, or barking into the depths of the banyan tree ... and that I can sit in the chair and watch butterflies of every flutter and birds of every feather flock together (including a striking cardinal, more than a few bluejays and a dove couple) ... it may be that *the best thing* is the inspiration from the one palm tree pictured in this photo.

Everyone who visits say that they've never seen anything like it ... a tree that decided to fight for its share of the sun by growing its trunk along the ground to escape the overhanging banyan tree branches with their accompanying moss ... forging its own destiny and claiming its own spot.  Unique ... different ... but now thriving on its own terms ... flourishing in the Floridian sunshine.

That tree and I are going to get along *just fine* here!

SPOOKY YET ELEGANT:
http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/3d/trees/trees05.htm

I SHOULD SUBMIT MY PHOTO!:
http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/35212-curving-palms-that-normally-grow-straight-show-us-here/

THAT LITTLE CREEK IS WORTH A HALF MILLION DOLLARS NOW:
http://www.ldnews.com/local/ci_24977321/quittie-creek-nature-park-receive-444-126-state

No comments:

Post a Comment