June 15, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 6/15/13

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... hashtags have arrived to Facebook, and I'm not sure what I think about them.

For a bit of background:  I've been known to provide a random status update (outside of this random series -- kind of like "bonus content" only found on Facebook) and to include one (or three) hashtag comments at the end -- even though I knew that they weren't functional.

With the announcement of these changes, I've decided to use the opportunity to learn life lessons.  To whit ...

1.)  My nephew informed me of the change to Facebook and asked me if I was stoked.  I replied honestly -- now that I can have them, they aren't as attractive to me any longer.  LESSON LEARNED:  It is so much easier to complain about things you don't have than it is to appreciate that which you do have.

2.)  Whenever I posted anything with hashtags (pre-rule-change), I felt the need to always post three fake ones with the last one being a comment about how I was hashtagging ironically or about how I was picking on Facebook for not being as hip as other social media.  LESSON LEARNED:  I'm definitely a smart-ass (with maybe just a touch of OCD) so I should just embrace it.

3.)  Hashtags work by aggregating comments into themes designated by the language that comes after the # sign.  As such, the phrasings should be relatively simple, easy for others to duplicate and almost intuitive.  Me -- I like mine to be as many words run together as possible and to be something that no one would ever really duplicate in their own postings, thus robbing hashtags of their power.  LESSON LEARNED:  I may suffer from an exaggerated sense of uniqueness.

Or said another way ... #exaggeratedsenseofuniqueness, #iamasmartass & #easiertocomplainaboutthingsyoudonothavethantoappreciatethingsyoudo

A FACEBOOK HASHTAG PRIMER:
http://marketingland.com/facebook-finally-gets-hashtags-48115

WHAT THIS MEANS REGARDING SECURITY SETTINGS:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebook-hashtags-protecting-privacy-posts/story?id=19396453#.UbzzSue-ojU

HOW TO USE FACEBOOK BROWSING TO BOOST YOUR SELF ESTEEM:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/feeling-facebook-profile-minutes/story?id=19299583#.UbzzfOe-ojV

No comments:

Post a Comment