August 30, 2016

L V C || C L Memory 38


In 38 days, I'll be back on campus at my alma-mater at an extra special homecoming as Lebanon Valley College continues celebrating its 150th birthday.  In honor of that countdown, here's memory #38:  the start of awards season.

Lookit ... let's be clear that it was just an honor to be nominated -- especially since I'm pretty sure that the nomination for both of these honors in late 1993 was the extent of what happened (coincidentally, both at the same time), because I don't think I actually *won* anything.

I can also say, though, that it was particularly rewarding to me because I had such a long and strange trip through college.  I started out fast out of the gate, got distracted with all kinds of new freedoms, actually took a year off between my junior and senior years, and then found my way back to a strong finish, proving many wrong who thought I'd never graduate.

The truth with me is that I perform the best when I know that others think I won't succeed.  It's always been the greatest motivation for me ... from way back then to even now.  And the other truth (also true from way back then to even now) is that my successes have been because of all the support I've been lucky to have from so many people, including the staff and faculty and students of dear old LVC.


No comments:

Post a Comment