February 6, 2016

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/6/16

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I finally saw the very *first* full length Peanuts feature that came out before I was born, and it was a little ... let's say "surprising" to say the least.

For instance, I know that this was during the acid-dropping days of yore, but the animation got a little trippy more than once.  And, speaking of drugs, there's a whole story arc that has Linus going through a horrific detox (admittedly, because he had given up his blanket, but he's only seconds away from needing Dr. Drew to intervene more than once).

Worst of all is the meanest Peanuts song ever ... a little ditty called 'Failure Face' that doesn't have any redeeming quality at all and is a far cry from the uplifting messages prevalent in the holiday specials.  And, speaking of songs, Schroeder plays something classical that I was certain was a Billy Joel song, so much so that I had to go to the interwebs to research to discover that, indeed, Billy sampled Beethoven's Sonata No. 8 Pathetique - 2nd Movement in his 'This Night' song and *that* was what Schroeder was playing (the Beethoven, not the Billy).

[Of course, it may also be true that I was traumatized whilst watching in that the story line focused on a spelling bee, and I was personally booted out of our junior high editions on the words 'vault' and 'piano' each year back then -- stories for another day (that may have already been told).]

Regardless, I was so turned off by the experience that I declined to watch the '72 sequel (the same year as my birth), called 'Snoopy, Come Home', which, according to the wiki, looks to be some tale of a custody battle for the poor dog.  Here's hoping the latest full length movie was a touch more uplifting and that the characters weren't accosted by terrorists or some other modern day plotline.

THE AFOREMENTIONED MOVIE CAN BE FOUND ON THE YOUTUBE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8aGqMNtkiM

MEANEST.  SONG.  EVER.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz6_9ReEGuY

I *KNEW* IT ONCE I HEARD IT:
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/76975/Billy-Joel-This-Night-Ludwig-Van-Beethoven-Sonata-No.-8-Pathetique-2nd-Movement/

No comments:

Post a Comment