November 24, 2015

Random Tune for Tuesday 11/24/15

Working from home as I do means I get to control the background music that gets played in "the office".

To provide a little variety, I mix it up with different xfinity music channels on different days, including "classic country" on Thursdays ... which is all the long way to explain how it was that I recently heard this tune from 1982, and I found myself singing along as I recognized it from my youth.

Of course, in my youth, I didn't fully understand that it was a song about the lady whose husband was overseas in the military and so she deflowered the narrator -- who was the boy delivering groceries.  Years later, Mr. Yearwood (aka Garth) would have a hit with a similar theme (although his teenage boy was deflowered by a voracious farmer widow [see 'That Summer']) ... but TG Sheppard broached the subject first with this song.

Only in the world of story-song country music could you get away with not one, but TWO hits about the sexual exploitation of the male youth of America by cougars.

I CAN'T FIGHT THIS FIRE ALONE ... STAY WITH ME UNTIL IT'S GONE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3smZTEeQ1k

No comments:

Post a Comment