November 21, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 11/21/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... these knees, though.

(And yes, these are actually *my* knees, courtesy of a recent X-ray at the doctor's office.)

In case you haven't been following along, I'm on a weight loss journey that included taking a walk every day for an hour on my lunch break (six days a week).  That worked so well, that I decided to incrementalize and start jogging, but very slowly ... adding in one block each week over the course of two months until I was up to eight blocks a day (not always consecutively ... more like two on and one off on repeat until I hit my daily goal).

However, eight blocks ended up being a breaking point (of some kind) for my knees.  When taking a few days off didn't return things to normal, I ended up in said doctor's office.  Although the x-rays didn't highlight any issues, I was sent for an MRI this past week, and I'll have my follow up visit on Monday.  (By the way, it was my first ever MRI ... and I can't believe that such a giant machine hasn't been innovated to get rid of all that ridiculousness noise [that I secretly hope someone has turned into an EDM song at the club].)

Sadly, all signs point to the fact that I may have been too fat to jog ... or, in more polite language, as the doctor said into his little tape recorder at the end of the visit, I was "well-nourished".  (He also said I was "well-developed", which I took to mean he noticed I'd been lifting weights of late.)  Unless there's something lurking in the MRI results, chances are I need to perform a lower-impact exercise in order to lose more weight so that I can consider a return to jogging to lose weight.  Ironic, no?  And the benefit is that for every pound lost, it will be 4.5 pounds of pressure off my jankety knees.

Proving to be a challenge, though, is that the alternative exercises suggested are swimming (I've never learned) and biking (but not on an actual bike on the road, as every doctor in southern Florida has commented that it is too risky to bike on the streets down here [bike riders die!], so stationary bikes are the only recommendation).

In the end ... this is really a post to be continued ... but please tell me I'm not going to be weak in the knees for the rest of my life (I'm too darn young)!

WHY HASN'T ANYONE REMIXED THIS YET?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aj2QspPf7s

HMMM ... AM I THIS GIRL?:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2695867/Overweight-woman-launches-website-prove-fat-run.html

ONE POUND AT A TIME TO HELP SAVE THE KNEES:
http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/news/20050629/small-weight-loss-takes-pressure-off-knee

No comments:

Post a Comment