October 24, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 10/24/15

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

[... remember, one rave a month on the day I normally rant, 'cause it's better for the soul ...]

... life is good.

Admittedly, maybe it's old age and the clarity that comes with it ... or the fact that my Weltanschauung (worldview, in case your German is spotty) got simpler after 9.11.  Meaning, upon reflection, once that tragedy happened, my approach to life changed in that I used to have consecutive five year plans always driving toward something in the future, but knowing that the future can disappear so quickly and so randomly, life became more about surviving and enjoying each day, one after the other.  And, to be clear, that made me happier ... so no, the terrorists didn't win.

But I digress.  I was sitting outside the other day here in sunny Florida, looking over to the new planter featuring the butterfly plants, and I watched a butterfly alight and began its meal.

And *that's* when it hit me that life was good.  I have a job with tasks that change often enough to keep me occupied ... an overabundance of food at my fingertips ... more than enough time to engage in my hobbies (which include eating bacon ... but also feeding my television addiction and micro-blogging for fun and to stay sane) ... a well stocked archive of memories of life before when it was more complex ... and I get to travel just often enough to keep me on my quests and to visit with old friends whilst occasionally making new ones.

Plus ... I get to reflect on all of that in a recently done-over yard, where I can sit and talk to the aforementioned butterflies ... and the various types of lizards ... and the birds that dare to come for a dip in the birdbath ... and the squirrel that never runs lower than the top of the fence ... and the rarely seen stray cat (or, even more rarely, the stray 'possum) ... and the biggest, fattest spiders who finally learned to build their webs just above the 5'10" mark so that I stop walking through them.

Yep, life is good ... especially when it's simple, and especially when you're surrounded by those you love and those who love you back. It's my wish for you and yours, from me and mine ...

WHAT'S YOUR WELTANSCHAUUNG?:
http://wordsmith.org/words/weltanschauung.html

DON'T THINK THOSE PICTURED MADE THE TOP 10 LIST:
http://floridafriendlyplants.com/plant_database_results.asp?TLst=4

YEP, EXACTLY ... LIFE IS GOOD:
http://optimisticquotes.org/life-is-good-quotes/


No comments:

Post a Comment