October 10, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 10/10/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... "temporary inability to move or talk (sleep paralysis) for up to several minutes while you are going to sleep or waking up" may be a possible side effect of the new Belsomra drug?

Lookit, I get it.  Chronic insomnia is a bad thing.  Regularly not getting sleep hastens your death.  Anyone dealing with that malady needs to get help, any way possible.

But paralysis?  *That* seems a bit drastic, no?

Admittedly, and to channel the bad-ass pope of our times, "who am I to judge?"  It is rare that I can't sleep.  But on occasion, either the dogs kick me out of bed and I have to move to the couch OR my creative brain forgets that it is nighty-night time and I have to get up and fill out a few index cards with all the thoughts (most of them story ideas) running around in my head.  The reality is that I have my own remedy ... and instead of counting sheep, I count the number of places where I've regularly laid my head and made my bed (note I say "regularly" as I don't want to try to recall my former one-night stand style sleepovers).  Once I hit the two dozen mark (yep, I'm moved a lot in my life to date), I'm almost always snoozing.

By the way ... back to the ad currently in heavy rotation ... don't get me started about how anti-dog it is (why's the creature representing the illness got to be the dog, yo?) ... or how those furball creatures could just as easily be at home in a horror film with just the use of a different lens and a special effect or two ...

What it all comes down to for me ... if I *was* someone who couldn't sleep ... I have to think that the fear of sleep paralysis would be strong enough to override the drug as I lay there in the bed, frightened out of my mind, unable to move, feeling dead while alive, trapped in my body.  Just sayin' ... maybe this drug can go back for a *little* bit more development before it's re-released?

THE AFOREMENTIONED COMMERCIAL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kMzVNnv78w

THE AFOREMENTIONED SIDE EFFECTS:
http://www.belsomra.com/side-effects/

MAY I OFFER AN ALTERNATIVE OR TWO:
http://www.everydayhealth.com/sleep-pictures/0708/8-cheap-and-natural-insomnia-remedies.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment