September 26, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 9/26/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I'm pretty sure that I was Bat-shamed at the local Barnes and Noble today.

Admittedly, I was actually unaware that today was the second annual Batman Day (after last year's successful 75th anniversary celebration) *until* I got the email from Barnes and Noble informing of such and suggesting that I stop in to participate in some raffles (and buy some merchandise).

Which is precisely what I tried to do, around 10am this morning.  After walking around the two levels in search of all things Bat (and despite my experience, I am still tickled to live in a town that still has a two story bookstore in it), I finally located a lonely table near the checkout line with two bat wallets, four identical Batman figurine boxes and four identical Batwoman figurine boxes (hip hip hooray for Bat-equality).

Feeling as sad as that display looked, I found my way to the information desk, where I was politely informed that "story time" was at 2pm and that I was way too early.  Looking puzzled, I mumbled something about raffles, and was assured that they'd be giving away a few things while they were reading to the kiddies that they expected to show up for the event.  I saw the judgment in her eyes that I was a middle-aged man inquiring about the Batman, and so I sputtered something about growing up on the old television show version of the superhero, but she was not interested in engaging in a dialogue about my interests.

And so I left, (because Adam West would never have approved of me saying "Batman is for all ages, bitch") ... and returned home to my personal Batcave surrounded by my personal Batthings... and vowed to have a better Batman Day come next year (likely far far away from the Barnes and the Noble).

THE BAT-SHAMING STRUGGLE IS REAL:
http://www.dorkly.com/post/63205/end-bat-shaming

THE SECOND ANNUAL BATMAN DAY:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/26/its-batman-day

ONE COULD POSIT THAT BATMAN ISN'T MUCH FOR KIDS AT ALL:
http://www.legionsofgotham.org/KIDSparentsguide.html


No comments:

Post a Comment