September 21, 2015

Random Memorial for Monday 9/21/15

Gone but not forgotten: the "other" Ray Charles!

I'll tell you one thing ... watching the awards show "In Memorium" sections is now something I approach with apprehension ... if only because, as I get older, it seems like I "know" those featured more and more.

Although there was one that caught my eye last night at the Emmys ... the reference to the "other" Ray Charles, who passed within the last year (in mid April, apparently).

I was somewhat intrigued that someone was known as the "other" Ray Charles, as opposed to the usual Hollywood custom of adding a middle initial, or extending a name, or changing it completely to remain uniquely identifiable.

And so I went to the old google today to learn about *this* Ray Charles, months after he died, and I was surprised at what I found.  So, musician who, along with Julie Rinker, sang the theme song to Three's Company (which I also *just* learned included the line "down at our rendezvous", as opposed to whatever mangled made up French phrasing I've been singing all these years instead), now that I know you existed in the first place, you will be missed!

THE OTHER RAY CHARLES:
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-ray-charles-20150410-story.html

WHO KNEW?  THIS GUY WAS SINGING IT!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TjDgcqa_H0

EVERY YEAR SOMEBODY'S GONNA GET MISSED:
http://www.eonline.com/news/698020/oops-the-emmys-2015-in-memoriam-segment-omitted-several-key-people


No comments:

Post a Comment