September 18, 2015

Random Flashback for Friday 9/18/15

Growing up in central PA as we did, we weren't a "go to the shore on vacation" kind of family.  And with my delayed social development, I missed out on a "traditional" spring break experience or two.  (Missed out or dodged a bullet -- I'll let you decide.)

All of that may be why the beach was still such a novelty to me back in 1995.  This picture wasn't the *first* time I had seen the Atlantic (to date, that's the only ocean with which I am acquainted), and it certainly wasn't the *last*, (what with how I now live within a handful of miles of the shoreline down here in southern Florida), but it was the *first* (and only) time I was seeing it from this particular vantage point ...

The exact location will have to wait for an explanation accompanying next week's photo, but suffice it to say that I was viewing these waves crashing on this beach the same way that Billy Joel does.  And, whether today or twenty years ago, I'm still drawn to the almost oxymoronic blend of power and peace that the vastness of the ocean offers ... a hint that there's more out there even though it can't be seen ... and a reminder that faith in the unknown or unexplainable is a key part of getting through this life on this planet ... plus ... you know ... SAND!

No comments:

Post a Comment