August 18, 2015

Random Tune for Tuesday 8/18/15

Well I'll tell ya something ... tonight's tune could have just as easily been last night's "Memorial for Monday".

So, last Saturday night, I finally got to see the recent theatrical release of 'Into the Woods' during movie night (because, I'm old, and that's what Saturday nights have come to), and I was quite pleased to see that so much of it was consistent with what I remembered from my first listen to the cassette tape of this musical that happened for me back in my earliest college days when I found the theatre kids at dear old LVC.

[Mind you, I've never seen this musical staged live ... unless you count that one time it was on PBS ...]

I was broken out of that lull though when I got to the scene between the baker and his father and they had what seemed like a three sentence conversation INSTEAD OF the "no more" exchange of anguish (and speaking of anguish, the princes' 'Agony' reprise was also missed).  There's a lot of advanced philosophy in between all the goings-on in those woods, but the notion that you have to stop and fix the problems instead of running away from them in order to have a life with "no more riddles, quests, curses, false hopes and goodbyes and reverses" always struck a chord with me.

And so ... I feel compelled to have it be tonight's tune ...

WE DISAPPOINT, WE LEAVE A MESS, WE DIE BUT WE DON'T:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h15HP_W4yrg

No comments:

Post a Comment