July 11, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 7/11/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I go on my lunch break walks to clear my head and to relieve some stress, so I do NOT need to be assaulted by the improper use of quotation marks on a sign on a house that I walk past.

What originally started back in Chicago as a way to combat the negative effects of being a work-from-home employee has now turned into the only exercise I'm getting PLUS an all but guaranteed sunning now that my home is in southern Florida (maybe even more so this year, with a rainy season that *still* hasn't arrived as promised).  After all, once I get a little color on me, no one seems to be able to guess my ethnicity and everybody starts claiming me as one of their own ... so the walks are generally a win-win-win.

That is, until I walked past the house with the "1509" sign ... and the 1509 is placed in the air quotes.  Immediately, the stress that I'm to be relieving returned in full, and it is all I can do to not walk up to the door and announce to its inhabitants that this is reality.  That their house number really is 1509.  That it's on the same side of the street between the houses marked 1507 and 1511 and so the choice of number is neither whimsical nor ironic.  That their domicile is not in some fantasy world ... and that they can't communicate that they live in "1509" like maybe in their minds they think of it as 1348 but they call it "1509" so as not to confuse their friends.  1509 is 1509.  Stop "pretending" otherwise!  You people drive me CRAZY!

[PS ... I know I could simply re-route my walks.  But hey, where's the "fun" in that?]

NOW IF THE SIGN HAD *HIS* VOICE ATTACHED TO IT, I'D CHANGE MY TUNE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_cAS-mvV20

I'LL HAVE TO GET THIS ADDED TO THE COLLECTION:
http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

A "COMMENT" ON THE "SUBJECT":
http://www.quora.com/Can-quotes-when-overused-annoy-a-reader-who-doesnt-think-the-author-gives-them-credit-for-being-able-to-understand-multiple-subjective-interpretations-dead-metaphors-or-the-possible-invalidity-of-any-given-word-or-phrase



No comments:

Post a Comment