June 7, 2015

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 6/7/15

What southern Florida is talking about this week:

A little something called CANSTRUCTION.

Here's the deal.  No one in our country should go hungry.  We have excess in abundance, and dedicated individuals and organizations working hard to get what is needed in front of those who need it.  (Feel free to find your local food bank at the link below.)

On a personal level, one look at my body type in recent pictures, and it's clear that I also come from the meal plan of excess.  I get my meals in daily, often planning other activities around them, and I do not want for food.  Before moving across country, when we had our holiday family gatherings, we feasted like the Pilgrims were our Joneses, and we did more than keep up with them, yessiree Bob.

But I also recall a time in high school, before I ran away from home, when fear ruled my life and when the freedom to open the refrigerator or the snack cabinets was taken from me.  Under those conditions, I compensated by sneaking the Little Debbie snacks that were only for the stepmother's children and stealing away to the basement steps where the two liter bottles of soda were stored for others for a sip or two right out of the bottle.  And I spent my lunchtimes in the LHS cafeteria begging and borrowing and bartering with some elaborate schemes to supplement my sustenance.

Mind you -- let me make it clear that I'm not saying that I was ever even close to starvation.  But if those circumstances served no other purpose, they clued me in that shame and embarrassment should never be a part of the equation for anyone of any age -- but in particular the children.

Which brings me back to CANSTRUCTION and its clever and creative way to get the word out about the overall need while also making a direct difference.  Last year, their competitions "generated 4.7 million pounds of food that served 3.4 million meals to needy families" (see link below).  They did this by getting teams to build artwork ONLY out of canned goods, and then all of those materials are donated to local food banks at the end of the competition.

Locally, the next display takes place at the Gardens Mall in Palm Beach County (June 8-21) ... and personally, I can't wait to head up there on an upcoming weekend to see all of the creations ... and to make a donation in the process.  Kudos to CANSTRUCTION.

LOCAL COVERAGE OF THE CANSTRUCTION DISPLAYS:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/fl-canstruction-competition-hunger-20150520-story.html

SEARCH TO SEE IF CANSTRUCTION IS COMING TO A CITY NEAR YOU:
http://www.canstruction.org/

REGARDLESS, PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANK:
http://www.feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank/?referrer=https://www.google.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment