May 30, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 5/30/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... for the nth time, where n = a really really big number, I do NOT need to have a conversation whilst my hairs are being cut.

I know it's impolite to tell the barber to shut up (and potentially dangerous, considering the sharp implements in play), so I communicate in the way that I thought was universally understood ... i.e.  closing my eyes after informing him that "it's a half all the way around, thank you very much" and, you know, pretending that I was asleep -- or at least on my way to being asleep.

This last time, the attempt at conversation included the man with the clippers asking me, in broken English, "you don't like your hair, do you?"  I wasn't sure how to reply -- other than, "I'd like a half all the way around, thank you very much".

I mean I don't get my hair cut because of some hair dysmorphic disorder ... I do it because I don't like to have longer hair on my face than my scalp (and I keep my goatee pretty close to the skin, so as not to totally obfuscate the fact that I have a swell cleft in my chin) AND because, in so doing, I can more easily pretend that I don't have a giant bald spot on the top of my head (conveniently not visible when I look in the mirror, but a part of what everyone can see, apparently) AND because, once the sides get long enough that it stands straight up and out on its way to being all curly and unruly such that I need to dig out a baseball cap that's covered in twenty year old dirt (it's too delicate to wash now) any time I go out in public -- *those* are the reasons that I come to the shop almost every two weeks.

So please, mister barber men -- "I'd like a half all the way around, thank you very much" and let's leave it at that!

NOW *THIS* GUY ... HE *HATES* HIS HAIR:
http://www.psychforums.com/body-dysmorphic-disorder/topic34168.html

NOW *THIS* GUY ... HE AGREES WITH ME:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread441023/pg1

SINCE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT OF THE HAIR CUTTING BUSINESS:
http://justsomething.co/27-hilarious-kid-haircuts-fails/

No comments:

Post a Comment