February 26, 2015

Random Thought for Thursday 2/26/15

I don't know what we did before the interwebs.

For instance, it struck me the other day that, although I know Jon has Garfield and Odie and Charlie has Snoopy and Phil has Marmaduke ... I could no longer remember who owned Tom and Jerry.  (By the way ... Tom and Jerry and I go waaaay back ... to my elementary school morning "babysitter" [aka Tom S' mom], where I used to watch Jane Pauley on the TODAY show AND catch the latest [reruns] of the Tom and Jerry toons before walking over to Southeast.)

Luckily, there are specific wikis JUST for Tom and Jerry ... although I might be more confused instead of less after tracking down the full history.

It looks like Mammy the maid (whom I do remember) may have turned into Mammy the owner (at least until she got retired when it was deemed that the character was too racist) and then it was George and Joan, except for when it was The Detective or even Clint the Cobbler (who was an animal abuser of sorts) or at least until the latest iteration, where it's apparently Rick and Ginger.

So now I know ... and now I know I need to set aside another evening of interwebbing to figure out how Butch and Spike and Tyke fit into this history.

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT TOM AND JERRY:
http://tomandjerry.wikia.com/wiki/Tom_%26_Jerry_Wiki

INCLUDING ABOUT WHY IT WAS SLAPPED WITH A RACIST WARNING:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/02/is-tom-and-jerry-really-racist.html

BUT IT DID NOT MAKE THE 10 MOST CONTROVERSIAL OF ALL TIME:
http://entertainment.time.com/2010/04/27/top-10-controversial-cartoons/slide/all/


No comments:

Post a Comment