February 28, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/28/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I want to keep my pooh on this side of the pond.

Fear not ... this won't be a post about the plumbing issues at ye olde Florida homestead (currently being replaced by ye *new* olde Florida homestead -- which is, in itself another post for another day).

Instead ... it's about taking a stand regarding the attempted repatriation of Pooh (as in Winnie The), who currently is on display in the basement of a library in New York.  How did he get there?  Christopher Robin (as in A.A. Milne's son, not the part of me and mine otherwise known as (c) ) *gave* it to his NY publisher way back in the day ... who, in turn, donated it to the New York Power Authority (whatever *that* is) ... which, in turn, donated it to the public library.  And why did Chris do so in the first place?  Because he grew up and didn't need his childhood toys any more (which, admittedly, is a bit of a concept I may not quite completely understand).

Now I will be the first to admit that it can't be denied that the 100 Acre Wood is indeed a place in England.  However, it also can't be denied that these toys are ancient, and, according to the current custodians, might actually fall apart to nothing if moved.

One other question to answer ... why do I care?  It's not just the worldly lessons made famous a la the Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet, or the fact that I can still choke up a little *every* time Kenny and Amy sing "I swear that old bear whispered, 'boy, welcome home'".  My strongest personal connection is that "the wonderful thing about tiggers is tiggers are wonderful things" was the mantra of my childhood, given to me by my biological mother and embraced in such a way that I came to love everything about myself that makes me different and special.  (By the way, rabbit's attempt to inhibit and suppress all that makes tigger tigger in that classic story may also explain my slight anti-authoritarian streak.)

Which means ... if I have to choose between a world where Pooh and friends might get destroyed or a world that includes a place where they are looked after in a safe environment -- *regardless* of specific country of location -- I will choose the status quo without a hesitation.

Keep Pooh safe (and here in America)!

THE POOH BATTLE (WINNIE THE POOH THAT IS):
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/12/26/251263/for-some-in-britain-reclaiming.html

LIFE HACKS (COURTESY OF WtheP):
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tabathaleggett/28-lessons-winnie-the-pooh-can-teach-you-about-lif-a0kl#.hq1RRK1VV

KEEP POOH WHERE HE IS (BUT MAYBE RETURN THESE ITEMS?):
http://mic.com/articles/76321/9-priceless-artifacts-museums-should-return-to-their-home-countries




No comments:

Post a Comment