October 5, 2014

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 10/5/14

What southern Florida is talking about this week:

Oktoberfest.

Well, admittedly, what with it suddenly being October (feel free to insert "where has the summer *gone* sigh here as you read this), I recognize that more than one locale can be celebrating a little German-ality in whatever way they can.

How did the little town to the north do it?  With a VW car show (some of these photos were already on the FB, and that one with me falling out of a bug bus is a bit of an inside joke/exercise in catharsis [long story ... let's just say you had to be there]), some brats (you can't tell so much from the way that photo was taken, but that *is* what I'm stuffing in my mouth) and a dachshund dash (which made me unsure as to whether I was supposed to protest it like greyhound races, or to think of it as some kind of cute).

Oh ... and with funnel cakes.  Although I think of them as more PA Dutch than pure German (and who knew?  the interwebs said they are medieval).  But let's face it.  It's not like I'm going to pass one by without purchasing it.

Sadly, there was no Kolsch to remind me of my semester abroad in 1990 ... but hey ... it was going to have to do.

THE HISTORY OF THE OKTOBERFEST:
http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/events/oktoberfest/history.html

THE HISTORY OF THE FUNNEL CAKE:
http://toriavey.com/history-kitchen/2013/06/funnel-cakes-history-recipe/

THE HISTORY OF THE KOLSCH:
http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/K%F6lsch.html









No comments:

Post a Comment