January 11, 2014

Bonus Post (Gbye Chicago): Thing 20

50 Things I'll Miss About Chicago -->

Thing 20:

Learning so much about the Polish.

I learned quickly that this was a place where one daresn't tell certain jokes that I learned on certain playgrounds of my youth ... as the Poles in Chicago are well organized (evidenced each year by the proliferation of flags attached to cars that were driven around 'hoods adjacent to Logan Square, where I first lived).  My father's people (way back) are Prussian ... so I guess I kind of feel connected ancestrally anyway.  Although I had already learned about Pirogies and Halupkis and Haluskis from Bev G during my Cherry Tree cafe waiter days in Uniontown ... Chicago taught me about Pulaski Day and "mowimy po polsku" and how to get comfortable at my job with spelling students' names that only consisted of consonants!

COUNTER:  I have a distinct feeling I'm going to be learning much about those who have a ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickle and mustard sandwich named after them, so as much as things change ... they sure do have a way of staying the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment