November 9, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 11/9/13

I don't mean to go on a rave here, but ...

... I will continue my take on the Facebook 30 Days of Thankfulness phenomenon, and I'll rave this and every Saturday in November about things for which I'm thankful ... this week, including ...

New opportunities.  I've always said that the freedom to do new things in my life is because I have the understanding that I always have a place to which I can return and people whom I can rely on for comfort if things were to go wrong.  That attitude has taken me to Germany for an exchange program, to Uniontown to interrupt my undergrad studies, to law school and back when it looked like I might not finish and to the great city of Chicago for the last dozen years.  And as I gear up for yet another exciting change in 2014 (more to come about that next month), I'm grateful for the support I have that allows me to take advantage of that which shows up at my life's door.

Knowledge.  Look, it's a known fact that were I independently wealthy, I'd have simply stayed in school forever.  Except for a few early morning classes and some challenging law school experiences, I did just fine in that environment.  Now that I'm a million dollars in monopoly-money-like school debt (would that I were exaggerating instead of just rounding up), I can still appreciate when I get the chance to learn something new whenever possible as a student of life.  Additionally, although not everything on the interwebs is true, I also am grateful that Al Gore made the internet so that we can salvage family arguments nowadays by simply saying "let's go to the web" (to be read in the same voice as those boxing announcers when they say "let's go to the scorecard")!

Smartphones.  Oh to be fair, I fought to keep my flip-phone for as long as I could, but once my employer confirmed rules that allowed me to get reimbursed for having something more intelligent, I finally switched to the latest and greatest equipment (although, to be fair, I am the farthest thing from an early adopter, so I still have my first smartphone from three years ago ... which means it's no Rhodes Scholar, but it also doesn't need to take remedial classes, if you catch my drift).  It gives me just what I need -- a widget that is a feed for the Facebook ephemera that fuels our virtual-social existence, a Reuters news app for a healthier mix of domestic and international news (God bless America ... but you know, we're not alone on this globe), a shortcut to the free Words With Friends game for occasional distraction of the lexiconical kind, and a status update button to allow me to express myself (sometimes with pictures) and to feed my hashtagging addiction.  Oh -- and apparently I can make and receive phone calls on it as well.

More of my kind of thankfulness coming next week!

WHAT I FOUND GOOGLING "THE GREAT CITY OF CHICAGO:
http://www.yelp.com/list/the-great-city-of-chicago-chicago

THANKS AL GORE FOR YOUR INTERNET AND FOR SOLVING FAMILY DISPUTES:
http://internethalloffame.org/inductees/al-gore

AND NOW FLIP PHONES ARE COOL AGAIN:
http://mashable.com/2013/10/28/flip-phone-costume/



No comments:

Post a Comment