July 29, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 7/29/13

Gone but not forgotten:  summer evenings eating ice cream and risking life and limb on the modified "witch's hat" ancient playground equipment at Woods Creek in Lickdale PA.

Full disclosure #1 -- I didn't know the mechanism was called a "witch's hat" until I started googling the interwebs tonight seeking a picture of it.

Full disclosure #2 -- that is not me in the image there, as I never had that much hair ... nor did I wear knee socks ... nor was I a girl when I was younger.

Full disclosure #3 -- Boy I *think* the place was called Woods Creek, but I could *not* confirm that in my googling tonight -- instead just finding the modern day restaurant at the link below.

Full disclosure #4 -- I really like googling.

I thought of this place because I recently saw a post that said the aforementioned restaurant was closing, and then I started thinking about how frequently we would visit the outdoor playground/ice cream place in the summer (I guess it was the poor person's Jigger Shop, for those of you familiar with Lebanon PA ice cream economics).  The best part was finishing the ice cream and still having time to go to the 1940's style playground with death-defying equipment on it.  I remember pushing the limits of the modified "witch's hat", either spinning it so fast that the chains would get caught up on each other and break speed records unwinding or pushing it side to side with a goal to smash someone's shins against the inner pole (you know, just kids being kids).

The other reason we might have visited often was because the small country church down the road was where we spent a good bit of time in my pre-runaway years (the preacher there was my father's fourth wife's ex-boyfriend/my father's fifth wife's ex-husband [ ...the latter coupling just being a spite-marriage to address the fact that the fourth wife seemed to be a little too supportive of her ex-boyfriend's new church {what?  never heard of a spite marriage?  I thought all families had those ...}])

Regardless of what brought us to the establishment, the combination of ice cream treats AND dangerous playgrounding, you are missed!

THIS WAS WHAT I FOUND INSTEAD:
http://www.woodscreekgrill.com/events/

IT WAS CLOSE TO THIS -- WHICH HAS APPARENTLY BEEN RENAMED:
http://www.lickdalecampground.com/

THE BITTER OLD BITCH GETS IT!:
http://tstbob.blogspot.com/2009/12/walk-down-memory-lane-to-dangerous.html






No comments:

Post a Comment