June 2, 2013

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 6/2/13

What Chicago is talking about this week:

It's moving season!

Which means the empty apartments in the building are filling up.

Since the Mexican brother landlords took over the first place lived in in Chicago (over in Logan Square, 2001-07) as they all moved in together (allegedly) during the Great Recession, I've enjoyed the nine unit building right here just a spit and a holler away from Wrigley Field.  All things considered, it's a good place -- three units per floor, but three with one entrance/six with another.  That means the back deck is shared by three groups on each floor, but the landing out front is only shared by two (and, being in the middle, it is true that one "more intimately" knows the upstairs girls and the downstairs boy [and they, in turn, know me and mine], if only because the walls and floors just aren't so thick).  And all nine units share two washers and one dryer (landlord Jim, if you're reading this, please fix the other dryer soon!).

The best part of the building -- it's pet friendly.  And not to get all like Anna Madrigal (but if I did, I'd skip the "surgery" and instead I would be inspired by her and take on the moniker Merry Edie Norty [if you didn't Tales-of-the-City, this is probably not making sense]), but the new girls I watched move in downstairs next to the boy who is underneath this apartment did leave a giant bag of dog food outside of their front door while they were moving in, so there's a good sign that more dogs will be in the building.  Working from home as I do, I kind of like knowing that I'm surrounded by animals (whom I like better than people most days).

Now we'll see how long they all last!

MORE ABOUT TALES OF THE CITY:
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/article/125200-tales-of-the-city-from-serial-to-books-to-tv-to-stage/

A MOVING-TO-CHICAGO RESOURCE (THERE'S STILL AN APT OPEN, I THINK):
http://movingtochicago.org/

LANDLORD JIM, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, HERE'S A HINT:
http://www.diylife.com/2008/01/28/fixing-a-clothes-dryer-that-wont-dry/


No comments:

Post a Comment