March 4, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 3/4/13

Gone but not forgotten:  the celebration of Pulaski day in Chicago schools.

Back in the old days, today used to be a public school holiday in Chitown, but that went away (along with Columbus Day) during last year's battle between the city and the school board (guess that our mayor's not counting on the voting bloc of Poles and I-talians should he run again and not pursue national political aspirations as some suspect).

To show my allegiance to the original concept, I took the day off of work (well, kind of -- it's more like I worked this past Saturday, so having Monday off is how my "weekend" falls) ... and I will eat pierogies tonight for dinner (and if only it was twenty years ago when I was working at Cherry Tree Cafe and eating Bev's halupke and halushki, that would be an even more traditional delight ...).  Speaking of allegiance, family lore says that my father's forebears were Prussian, and since my high school history classes served me well (and the Wikipedia confirmed that they did), that makes me somewhat connected to the Polish folk.  [Wikipedia also reminded me that I should have some guilt for World War I as well -- although my father's father fought in that "Great War" on the American side, so I guess the gene pool has been absolved.]

So, despite Rahm's actions, Casimir, founder of Calvary and he for whom the street here in town that is a modern-day border for rival gang territories such that I have to double check that my windows are rolled up and that my doors are locked every time I cross over it headed west, you will not be missed.

BACK TO SCHOOL YOUNG 'UNS -- NO HOLIDAY FOR YOU!:
http://www.examiner.com/article/mayor-rahm-emanuel-wipes-columbus-and-pulaski-off-the-chicago-school-calendar

NEED A PULASKI REFRESHER?:
http://polskiinternet.com/english/casimirpulaski.html

MY FATHER'S FATHER'S FOREBEARS HAIL FROM HERE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussia

No comments:

Post a Comment