January 8, 2013

Random Tune for Tuesday 1/8/13

I've been doing this for awhile.

How do I know?  ... Because it's time to start my FOURTH annual "dead celebrity tune trilogy".  Since the end of 09, I've dedicated three Tuesday posts in a row to those who passed in the year before (with the definition of celebrity stretched via artistic license as needed).

So for the first in the 2012 trilogy, there's this compilation of sad cartoon images that I found on the old youtube in honor of Disney songwriter Robert B Sherman (who brought us many classic songs -- including some from ChittyChittyBangBang, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, etc.).  Robert passed in March 2012, and, at that time, it was mentioned in most places that he also brought us "It's a Small World After All".

I dare not link to that song -- and not because I fear the Disney copyright police.  It's just that I had the misfortune of getting stuck on that ride when I visited my good friend Holly in Orlando in November 1996, and although I don't begrudge Mr. Sherman the genius of the song, repeated play of a repetitive tune in the company of animatronic figures from whom you can't escape created a different uniquely uncomfortable feeling of a memory that I wish not to recall (any more than I just did to type it out for this post).  Coincidentally enough, that memory of visiting Florida is somewhat ironic for today, as I just had to pull the trigger and completely cancel the week's vacation I was to have started tomorrow (hey -- we survived the apocalypse, so Florida will still be there next month when the timing is better [fingers-crossed]).

Which brings me back to this song, as I've been in a more reflective somber mood since my father's passing this past weekend, making images of cartoon characters crying decidedly appropo ...

RIP ROBERT B SHERMAN (1925-2012):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK7FkWgBGTI



No comments:

Post a Comment