January 21, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 1/21/13



Gone but not forgotten:  workplace civility.

Well, civility in general, I guess ... but the article that caught my eye specifically referenced the workplace.  And I should start with a disclaimer, I'm not talking about my workplace or your workplace but the average workplace (unless the work shoe fits, and then, well, you know the rest).  After all, it couldn't possibly be my workplace, as I work from home, which means I'd have to be uncivil to myself (or the cats would have to be uncivil towards me, which isn't necessarily a concept that's too far out there).

Where was I?  Oh right ... trouble in the workplace, as defined in the article below as "a form of organizational deviance ... characterized by low-intensity behaviors that violate respectful workplace norms, appearing vague as to intent to harm". Or ...

...co-workers who say please and thank you and who are respectful to you and your office mates (again -- this is NOT representative of my work situation and NOT just because we have today off and NOT just because I work from home), you are missed by many (according to surveys).

THE ARTICLE THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/wellness/story/2011/08/Incivility-a-growing-problem-at-work-psychologists-say/49854130/1

2012 VERSION OF THE SURVEY (WRIT LARGE, NOT JUST LIMITED TO WORKPLACE:
http://www.webershandwick.com/civility/

ACTION STEPS -- 4 WAYS TO STOP IT IN YOUR WORKPLACE:
http://www.humanresourcesiq.com/talent-management/articles/workplace-incivility-on-the-rise-four-ways-to-stop/

No comments:

Post a Comment