August 10, 2012

Random Flashback for Friday 8/10/12

Where has all the time gone?

Superficially, I guess I'm talking about the summer of 2012 -- which it suddenly seems is all but over.  Reinforcing that thought is today's weather here in Chi-town, where the windows are open and there's almost a chill in the windy air!  [I'm a virtual employee who works from home connected to his laptop all day who doesn't even need to move beyond wearing underwear for most work days all summer -- but I almost had to put a shirt and pants on today!]  And also reinforcing that thought is the fact that this is the last in summer series of photos from 1992 of my "out west family" that were sent to me by my mom (that's her "gathering firewood", as per the back of the photo) twenty summers ago.

But I guess that question of "where has all the time gone" applies on a different level to the fact that I haven't seen this lovely lady face to face since a family gathering in Missouri in 2005.  Lots of distance ... literal and figurative ... but that's just the way it goes in these modern times -- and I'm actualized enough to know that it's not about placing blame but more like accepting blame as the choices in my adult life are just as much a part of the story as the choices made by others that affected my child life.  

So, like an old person myself, I'll just sit back and nod my head knowingly and squint my eyes a little and pause and ponder ... "where has all the time gone?"  [If only I had a rocking chair to make that image work perfectly ...]

No comments:

Post a Comment