July 29, 2012

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 7/29/12

What Chicago is talking about this week:

There's definitely a contingent excited about the fact that the Cards are playing the Cubs here in Wrigley for the weekend -- I know because I had to fight through those crowds to get to the red line to head to the Newberry Library book sale downtown.

[What can I say -- I've always liked books more than sports -- I was just born that way.]

And although that book sale can't even begin to compare to the one time I got in to the Book-of-the-Month-Club warehouse sale in Camp Hill in the late 90's (a decade old belated thanks to you Aunt Robin), it was fun for me to pick up 20 books to add to my home library at an average of $3/book (that's me and my purchases exiting the red line at the Wrigley stop yesterday in the photo).  The cheapest -- a Where's Bin Laden "children's book" (the jury is still out on whether it is racist or not -- but it certainly captures a frustrating moment in time post-9/11, pre-Seal Team Six mission) in the style of Where's Waldo.  The most expensive -- a local press' printing of a collection of all of the inaugural addresses  from W.H. Taft to G.W. Bush.

A little birdie told me that everything was half price today (actually, it was an ancient volunteer), so hie thee hither to score your own haul should you be so minded.  Or -- if not -- the final Cards/Cubs game of the weekend starts in just under two hours from the time of this posting.

IT's THE FINAL DAY TODAY FROM 10am-6pm:
http://www.newberry.org/07262012-newberry-28th-annual-book-fair

MY NEPHEW WOULD SAY "WHY BUY THE BOOK ... IT's ON THE INTERNET":
http://www.bartleby.com/124/

WE ACTUALLY WON YESTERDAY!:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametracker/recap/MLB_20120728_STL@CHC/cubs-edge-cards-with-rbi-bunt-single

No comments:

Post a Comment