June 4, 2012

Random Memorial for Monday 6/4/12

Gone but not forgotten:  Dicks Clark and Dawson and Mrs. Landingham.

In yet another sign of my advancing age, I now recognize just about every celebrity who passes.  And I hadn't yet said anything about the death of Dick Clark (I think this "motivational poster mock up" says it best -- particularly today, when just 200 days remain until 12.21.12), but now Richard Dawson and Kathryn Joosten's passings have dampened the weekend just wrapped.

I preferred my Dawson as a celebrity panelist on the classic Match Game, and my Joosten as the character just outside of President Bartlett's oval office and my Clark counting down New Years Eve (even after the stroke which, to me, made him more human and less host-robotic) ... but now, when it comes to all three, you are already missed.

Also gone but not forgotten ... the season that recently wrapped of Amazing Race.  I don't plan to do this next time, but for this past season, it was a marathon to clear off the DVR that led me to watching the final half of the season at once. And so I provide my final Amazing Race Aside(s) for six episodes ... and just to keep it from running on and on and on ... I'll boil it down to three thoughts per episode (and you'll soon notice a theme):

Can I just say that, in the seventh episode, I don't understand why more people didn't choose jumping for one minute (to imitate a Tanzanian courtship ritual) -- even if it was at an escalation of 8000 feet, it seemed like one of the easiest tasks ever, I would not readily stop to ask the kids brandishing spears for directions and I miss Bonnie Hunt who would have definitely picked up on how building a safari tent together should be a project for marriage counseling.

Can I just say that, in the eighth episode, it looks like people wear a lot more clothes in the heat of Africa than I would have thought, that zebras seem to hang out with all kinds of animals or else they just wanted as much camera time as possible and that I miss Bonnie Hunt who would have had lots to say about the way the double Uturn played out.

Can I just say that, in the ninth episode, I found it ironic that they KY boy was getting bus-sick but recognized if he stuck his head out into the Indian air, he would feel worse, that the teams seem awfully caught up in gender roles (what with the mocking of the bipolar girl taking on the cricket challenge first and the comment about how "chicks can dance better but they sure do get emotional") and that I miss Bonnie Hunt who would have found a way to give the KY boys some part of a million dollars one way or another.

Can I just say that, in the tenth episode, who knew Rumpelstiltskin was Indian, that a giant 250 lbs MMA guy almost broke that poor tiny elephant and that I miss Bonnie Hunt who would have taken the squabbling girls to task for that drama on the check-in mat.

Can I just say that, in the two hour finale eleventh/twelfth episodes, I want to play sushi bingo at my next get-together, that I don't think a "search and rescue" when conducted by the border control guys has the same happy ending that a normal "search and rescue" does and that I miss Bonnie Hunt who would have pointed out the losing teams who couldn't muster anything more than sore-loser clapping in the final seconds of the show (both times the "winning" team arrived).

Next season ... I commit to more timely commenting on one of my favorite shows (and to not miss an episode like I did this year to poor DVR management).  Here's to the next Amazing race around the world, and can I just say that ... I miss Bonnie Hunt!

SOMEONE TOOK THE TIME FOR THIS PLAY BY PLAY OF THE MATCH GAME:
http://www.angelfire.com/stars3/lasteps/lastrich.htm

QUOTES FROM ONE OF THE BEST EPISODES OF WEST WING:
http://thewestwing.tktv.net/Episodes2/quotes/22.html

DICK -->  A LIFE IN PICTURES:
http://www.billboard.com/photogalleries/dick-clark-his-life-and-career-in-photos-1006807962.story




No comments:

Post a Comment