February 23, 2012

Random Thought for Thursday 2/23/12

Sweeps month ends in just six days! Which should also bring us temporary relief from the kind of news teasers that say: "Coming up on tonight's evening news -- brain eating amoebas and dogs that can sniff out cancer."

And that's not me being all x 2 /a 2 − y 2 /b 2 = ±1 (note: the opening of that sentence is me being intentionally abstruse [note: and that parenthetical is me flaunting my high school word wealth vocab bank, for which I thank Ms. Mills! {note: I briefly considered giving up parentheses and brackets and braces/fancy brackets for lent, but couldn't bring myself to make such a sacrifice -- plus, I was reminded that I'm not Catholic}]) ... BUT it is an actual message that recently stopped me in my tracks from local (and somewhat national) channel WGN-9.

In my opinion -- if a brain-eating amoeba was on the loose, I'm just sayin' that it would be worth interrupting regular programming and that they shouldn't make folks wait until the evening news comes on! As a public service announcement related to this news:

DO NOT NETI POT WITH TAP WATER! (You're welcome.)

SAID MEDICAL WATCH SEGMENT ON THE LOCAL/NATIONAL NEWS:
http://www.wgntv.com/videobeta/7dd48261-bb14-4dd4-85b4-2015f87945fd/Health/Medical-Watch-Brain-eating-amoeba-post-exercise-protein-cancer-sniffing-dogsHealth/Medical-Watch:-Brain-eating-amoeba,-post-exercise-protein,-cancer-sniffing-dogs/Health/Medical-Watch:-Brain-eating-amoeba,-post-exercise-protein,-cancer-sniffing-dogsHealth/Medical-Watch:-Brain-eating-amoeba,-post-exercise-protein,-cancer-sniffing-dogsHealth/Medical-Watch:-Brain-eating-amoeba,-post-exercise-protein,-cancer-sniffing-dogsHealth/Medical-Watch:-Brain-eating-amoeba,-post-exercise-protein,-cancer-sniffing-dogsHealth/Medical-Watch:-Brain-eating-amoeba,-post-exercise-protein,-cancer-sniffing-dogsHealth/Medical-Watch:-Brain-eating-amoeba,-post-exercise-protein,-cancer-sniffing-dogs

MATH IS FUN (?!):
http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/hyperbola.html

DON'T JUST TAKE MY WORD FOR IT ... DON'T NETI POT WITH TAP WATER PLEASE:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/12/22/beware-the-improperly-used-neti-pot-brain-eating-amoebas-could-strike/

No comments:

Post a Comment