December 3, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 12/3/11

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... it's time to call out a few more television ads that have crossed the line! I do everything I can to optimize my TV viewing (which means fast forwarding through ads as much as possible -- and a special "curses" to you, Rupert Murdoch, for disabling the feature on the FOX on demand shows), but occasionally an advert or two slips through.

And I've railed about companies using cartoons to lessen the load of uncomfortableness (like the Charmin bears so obsessed with a dinkleberry free life), so I wasn't as surprised that Luvs upped the load angle with the poop explosion pageant. If you haven't seen it (I understand now that it came out last January, but I just caught a glimpse of it recently), it's a competition between three racially and gender mixed cartoon babies, with scores being assigned to the one who can fill up his or her diaper with the biggest explosion of excrement. It's cheers all around -- particularly for the winner who gets the perfect score -- but it just sickened me. For those with a fetish, more power to you.

[I'm not a prude. As a matter of fact, I think scatological comedy has its place. Exhibit A: Raising Hope, which the TVLand awards should name as it's Instant Classic show for the next ceremony, recently featured a sweet love story told around the task of sifting through Maw Maw's poo. But it was handled in such a classy way ...]

The other commercial of late doesn't quite offend me in the same manner. And since I don't belong to the i-cult, it's a matter that doesn't affect me directly. But I am disappointed that the new iphone ads featuring Siri include so many exchanges with the automated wonder that do not include please and thank you. We're already a nation becoming unfamiliar with how to have actual human interactions, and I fear the day when we piss off the next Hal-like iteration and "they" take over. Let's keep Siri as happy as we can for as long as possible ...

IT's GONE NOTICED BY OTHERS AS WELL:
http://pocketcyclone.com/2011/10/24/lets-be-nice-to-siri/

BUT THEN AGAIN, SO HAS THIS ONE:
http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/lauren-parentingcom/luvs-poop-commercial-tmi-or-hilarious

AND IT's A SHAME IF YOU'VE NOT YET NOTICED THIS HILARIOUS SHOW:
http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2011/11/09/raising-hope-jimmy-kid/

No comments:

Post a Comment