November 5, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 11/5/11

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... who was it that brought the "fist bump" into our culture and can he or she kindly take it back, please. I've always been a fan of the handshake -- I practiced my firm grip for years growing up (insert collective groan here) ... and I don't want to see it fade away.

I think I first became over-aware of it all during the Howie Mandel/Deal or no Deal interview circuit, when his OCD was mentioned in every ... single ... article. But now it's just ubiquitous in the worst way, and every time I see two grown men do the bump and then include additional hand motions simulating an explosion or birds flying away or any other attempt at cleverity to imply that they are founding members of some super secret society (I know cleverity is not a word -- it's my attempt to co opt cleverness for my own nefarious purposes) -- I just think they may as well be announcing to the world: "Wonder-fist powers activate! Form of ... a douchebag. Shape of ... someone for whom self-actualization is but a Willy Loman pipe dream."

Get thee behind me, fist bumps! I want nothin' but hands-a-shakin' from now on! Nothin' personal -- it's just my preference.

STOP IT MR. PRESIDENT! THIS IS WORTH PROTESTING ABOUT!:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1812102,00.html

DON'T FORGET GLEEK!:
http://www.dcuguide.com/who.php?name=wondertwins

OCD's SERIOUS AND ALL, BUT I'M JUST NOT A FAN OF THE FIST BUMP, HOWIE!:
http://youhaveocd.com/2010/07/06/howie-mandel-talks-about-ocd/

No comments:

Post a Comment