November 19, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 11/19/11

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I need the assistance of my friends who are actors or play some other role in the entertainment world, as I've noticed a disturbing trend on both the small and big screens that I'd like to see reversed.

If you are interacting with a coffee cup as a prop -- particularly one that is in a to-go container, -- could you please do me a favor and "act" like there's a hot liquid in said prop? I'm not saying you have to get all method and create a sense memory and go burn your privates like that poor old lady did at McDonalds (well I guess she was once poor, but I'm pretty sure she's a millionaire now), but I also don't want to be taken out of the moment as a viewer when you take what is clearly something that is empty and toss it around negligently in the scene.

Maybe it's obvious, but I feel like it needed to be said. If I had more time and money on my hands, I'd consider making that my raison d'etre.

And speaking of obvious things that need to be said (and having just the right amount of time on my hands), that's also the theme for the first item listed in my Amazing Race Aside for last week's episode. Here are three things I learned from the most recent leg of the journey:

1.) If you are in a race and you notice that everyone else is not around you, it is probably not the best idea to consider that as "down time" and just take a nap instead of trying to figure out what happened. And if you do decide that you've been left behind and just have to wait it out for the next opportunity, and if you're in Amsterdam, I would think that there's more to do outside of the airport (including the purchase of items that might just be a "sleep aid" ... or a "munchie aid", if you get my drift).

2.) Silly boy, it's pronounced /koh-puhn-hey-guhn/ or /koh-puhn-hah-guhn/, but it is most certainly not pronounced /koh-ping-en/.

3.) I never knew that Denmark actually consisted of 450 islands. It always seemed like one land mass on the maps when I was young. Thanks, Phil, for rocking my world view!

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE FOR COPENHAGEN:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/copenhagen

THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE PLACE OF 450 ISLANDS:
http://www.denmark.dk/en

WAIT A MINUTE -- THIS IS ACTING 101?!:
http://www.heyheymicky.com/?p=287

No comments:

Post a Comment