September 25, 2011

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 9/25/11

What Chicago is talking about this week:

Three exciting new products to purchase so that you can prove your patriotism!

In this economy, we're called upon to spend our money as a sign of our belief in capitalism -- so it was not an issue for me to make the rounds today and deplete my bank account to show how American I can be. To whit ...

At Target, after purchasing a few Bachmann Bulbs (2012 is right around the corner and all that time put into the important issue of light bulb purchasing freedom rights may not yet have paid off), I found the best packaging for classic board games (let's add in a pause for those who live in the virtual world to google why anyone would play a game with a board) -- and although the internet tells me they've been around since 2009, the "library book" vintage wooden box set of classic games is now on my holiday wish list!

Next, in between raindrops at an Andersonville farmers' market, I marvelled at how dirty vegetables au natural are (they actually look like they come from the ground when they're not waxed after harvesting!) and then was just as surprised at the plastic flatware that was available to me when I purchased my potato cakes. I was so certain that it was real silverware that I had to use to eat and then return, that I flicked them with my finger to try to figure it all out. But it was plastic, I tell you -- plastic!

Finally, it was on to grocery shopping at the new Mariano's Fresh Market. Somehow, this vendor manages to capture the spirit of the quality of Whole Foods meat and fish counters (without the guilt that comes with the granola lifestyle), while steering away from the lackadaisical attitude of the typical Dominick's employee (I get unions -- but those union employees at that grocery store don't seem to ever be happy about the protections their group has gotten for them) and with the customer appreciation card savings of a Jewel firmly intact. My favorite part of the store ... the sign that says "Sausage made on site by master sausage makers."

[And now that my funds are depleted, it's also American of me to ask someone for a bailout, right?]

SEARCH LIBRARY VINTAGE UNDER TOYS AT TARGET.COM:
http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=library+vintage&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallany%7Call+categories

SO LIFELIKE, FRIENDS WILL THINK YOU CAN AFFORD TO THROW CUTLERY AWAY:
http://www.partycity.com/product/stainless+steel+forks+24ct.do?sortby=ourPicks&size=all&navSet=109883

THE NEW PLACE TO BE FOR GROCERIES IN CHICAGO:
http://www.marianosfreshmarket.com/MeatSeafood.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment