August 14, 2011

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 8/14/11

What Chicago is talking about this week:

... state fair season!

Although our state fair just started (and where else can you see MC Hammer and the Oak Ridge Boys and 3 Doors Down in the same fortnight?), it's the tragedy in Indiana at their state fair and the dog and pony show next door in Iowa that's taking over all of the news stories.

I fully expect an addition to the CMA broadcast tonight on ABC for those who died in the stage collapse before the Sugarland concert this weekend in Indiana. Talk about wrong place, wrong time -- it reminded me a little of how Six Feet Under opened each episode -- but obviously so much sadder as it was real life and not fiction. Our thoughts are with those who lost family members.

As for the political dog and pony show (which, by the way, if you do the research, is a completely inappropriate idiom that has somehow distanced itself from its obscene origin) in Iowa, we still have months to go before the 2012 race gets any clearer, but can I just say [and disclaimer, I'm going to reference the Republican and Tea Party candidates, because it's their shenanigans that have been in the news this last week -- I'm under no obligation to share my snark under any equal time principles] ...


  1. I like to hear Ron Paul answer questions, but I'd ultimately rather invite him as a regular guest to any dinner party I'd have than have him as my President.

  2. When Bachmann repeatedly says that she's been "at the tip of the spear" these past few weeks fighting with Obama, does anyone else find that to be an odd choice of words that even seems subtly racist?

  3. It turns out that the race is only big enough for one candidate from St. Olaf -- goodbye and good luck Pawlenty.

  4. I like to hear Newt Gingrich answer questions, but I'd ultimately rather have him as a professor than have him as my President. And I've seen the paranoia and accusatorial stance he took at this last week's debate before -- on those who've been damaged from bad bad break-ups.

  5. Any chance the fact that Bush III (I mean Gov Perry) entered the race because of the politics of religion (I hear electing a Catholic president was a big thing back in the day -- are we as a country ready to nominate a Mormon)? Is Perry the Romney replacement for those with narrow religious views?

  6. For those of you who grew up in Lebanon County as I did, is Rick Santorum just a small step away from practicing Jarboe style politics?

  7. Why didn't anyone tell Huntsman that he has to do the electric slide to the far right to succeed in the primaries and boogey boogey boogey as a moderate during the major election season? Where are his handlers!

  8. And I wish I had something to say about CEO Cain, but I'm not even inspired to a modicum of snark on his behalf -- sorry pizza king!
What can I say -- nothing but fun times ahead!

THE ENTERTAINMENT SCHEDULE IN SPRINGFIELD:
http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/entertainment.htm

WE ARE PRAYING FOR OUR FANS, SAYS SUGARLAND:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/08/country-stars-send-well-wishes-to-sugarland-concert-tragedy/1

FRIED BUTTER ON A STICK AND OTHER IOWA FAIR DELICACIES:
http://www.iowastatefair.org/fair-attractions/food/

No comments:

Post a Comment