August 1, 2011

Random Memorial for Monday 8/1/11

Gone but not forgotten: the space shuttle flights.

I recognize I'm a week or two late, but I have to admit that I will miss hearing about our regular space flights (especially considering that our current financial morass means we won't be headed back to the moon or anywhere else any time soon). The loss of Challenger was a defining moment (and, until 9/11, what I thought would be my generation's answer to knowing exactly where you were when JFK was shot) in 9th grade for me (and Columbia's disintegration was a bit more low key but just as painful) ... and I've spoken before of how so many of my life's scientific advances were connected back to the cutting edge space shuttle technology (excluding 'o'rings and insulation chunks, of course).

I even recently uncovered my IEP for 7th grade, when I actually submitted a stamp design to the post office honoring the anniversary of the first flight (it was rejected, and a strikingly similar design was released years later -- I'm just sayin').

Even more so now that Chicago won't get a retired one for our museum campus, space shuttle -- you will be missed.

FL, VA, NY and CA -- NONE NEAR ME!:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/12/space.shuttle.new.homes/index.html

IF I COULD FIGURE OUT MY SCANNER, I'D PROVE THE SIMILARITY:
http://www.collectiblestampsgallery.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SP24

NOW COMPETING FOR 'WHERE WERE YOU ON 9/11" IMPORTANCE:
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/space-shuttle-challenger-disaster-tragedy-nasa-explosion-aniversary-ship-rocket-12790478

No comments:

Post a Comment