August 19, 2011

Random Flashback for Friday 8/19/11



I was present at this birthday party for Mrs. Woodward twenty years ago, but I was unable to attend the retirement celebration this weekend back home in Lebanon.

I went looking for an appropriate quote to encapsulate the 45 years that she spent in the nursing profession, and, with the powers of the internet, I stumbled upon this quote from a former CEO of the ANA.

Said Myrtle Aydelotte, "Nursing encompasses an art, a humanistic orientation, a feeling for the value of the individual, and an intuitive sense of ethics, and of the appropriateness of action taken."

With those characteristics so deeply rooted in her very essence, I know that retirement will only change a few day-to-day things for my "surrogate" mother -- as I have every expectation that she'll continue to live "a life of appropriate action taken" to "respect the value of the individual".

From all the patients you've taken care of over the years, from all the colleagues who've witnessed your dedication to the craft, from your friends and family -- and from those you graciously allowed into your family -- a heartiest of congratulations and a wish for continued happiness in this next chapter of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment