July 10, 2011

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 7/10/11

What Chicago is talking about this week:

If I were writing this yesterday when I intended (I've been a little under the weather for the last two days), I would have been taking an opportunity to bemoan my own suggestion that today's youth return to settling their disputes with old fashioned fisticuffs (ironically, the subject of my post last Fourth of July holiday -- see the Soapbox on 7/3/10) ... as a beach disturbance that didn't end with knives or guns drawn and used (of course, there were plenty of those over the weekend as well) still turned fatal as a teen trying to break up a fight was hit in the head, and never recovered. [A side note ... I know better than to think that the whole world has gone mad, but I'm beginning to fear it might be a majority ...]

But, since I'm writing this today, the conversation is all about surviving my first derecho. Well -- at least the first derecho that I knowingly survived. [Another side note ... I know I'm aging quickly when the weather forecast (which explained this particular wind-weather-phenomenon to me) becomes one of the things about the news to which I look most forward.] I lost power for half the day, so it was a good thing that I called off sick to work, as I couldn't have worked anyway without the juice from ComEd ... but it appears to have been mostly wind damage (trees knocked down on houses or cars in the 'hood), so I've really got nothing about which to complain.

[Final side note ... how concerned should I be that even the wind is on this trend toward ultra-violence?]

HE JUST WANTED TO BREAK UP A FIGHT:
http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/Teen_dies_after_fight_in_Long_Beach_police_searching_for_suspect_125118779.html

I WAS 1 OF 852,000:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-severe-thunderstorm-watch-for-northern-illinois-20110711,0,1006535.story

NOW I KNOW ALL ABOUT DERECHOS:
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/derechofacts.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment