May 28, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 5/28/11

[As usual, vacation and unreliable hotel wireless have interfered with my posting schedule.]

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... now that I'm back in my birth state of Pennsylvania (or at least for another 48 hours or so), I gotta hope that this overly litigious society spends time working on the big problems -- instead of dealing with the controversy over middle school kids wearing the I Heart Boobies rubber bracelets to school.

Great that the ACLU is always looking for new rights to protect, and sorry to hear that the school administrator found the double entendre too problematic for his academic fiefdom. But last month, the federal courts ruled that this breast cancer awareness campaign cannot be banned in high schools.

To which I say -- how much time, energy and resources were wasted resolving this dispute? Shame on them that couldn't see the big picture on this issue (sure it pushes a boundary or two, but it wasn't like it was an I Heart Balls bracelet [guys, you have to check your walnuts too!] -- and it's about cleverly getting people to talk about prevention through early detection). But then a same healthy dose of shame to those that took it to federal court. This is not a back-of-the-bus issue -- and may I suggest someone gets to work on anti-bullying lawsuits instead.

Come on -- priorities people!

WE WON, SAY BOOBIES EVERYWHERE:

SUPPORT A CAUSE AND BE HIP IN YOUR PINKNESS:

HERE's A GREAT START:

No comments:

Post a Comment