May 14, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 5/14/11

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... Jersey needs to get off my entertainment jock.

I don't mind it so much when "Jersey" is in the title. I can seek out Jersey Shore if I want to see Island kids (that's Rhode and Long, for those confused) engage in public intoxication and act like tools in clubs. I can turn the channel when Jerseylicious suddenly appears on the TV, although I will do so while shuddering at the thought that there will be a whole generation of baby-talking plump-assed young women hitting middle-age when that lifestyle won't be anything close to cute (that could be the Stepford Wives phenomenon for the current generation). And I can specifically locate when the Real Housewives of New Jersey will return (that's Monday night, for those looking to see whom that thick-as-thieves-family turns it sights on this season).

It's when Jersey sneaks into my shows that I'm the most upset. I cleared off a little more of the DVR, and, after watching multiple episodes back to back, realized that there was a fundamental flaw with ABC's Friday night 20/20 spin-off "What Would You Do?". It's not that this update to Candid Camera that poses as a social experiment tries too hard and often employs individuals who are clearly over-acting. It's not that the need to create a weekly show instead of just doing occasional segments and specials has led to scenarios where the common folk get baited into providing a response. The problem -- almost every hot button, ripped from the headlines, what if we swap out the race/gender/age experiment is performed in New Jersey.

No offense to any of you glowing in the Garden State, but I just don't think you represent the American people for these scenarios. John Quinones -- let's have a little truth in advertising -- this show has become "What Would Jersey Do" and has lost some of its charm. How about traveling a little more and really showing the diversity this country has to offer?

THIS WAS THE ONLY THING I DARE LIST FROM MY "BABY TALK PLUMP ASS" SEARCH:

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A JOKE ... BUT I THINK IT IS REAL:

No comments:

Post a Comment