April 6, 2011

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 4/6/11

Parkour on G4.

Used in a sentence: "I have discovered too late in life what would have been my passion if I had been any kind of athletic in high school -- courtesy of an eight episode series featuring Parkour on G4."

I remember when I first saw this sport of free-running (in a Madonna video of all places) and I just stopped in my tracks mesmerized by the guys moving constantly and flying through the air over and around obstacles (and, by the way they moved, "obstacles" was no longer able to be the word used to describe the things in their path).

Now that I've seen the tournament (called Jump City:Seattle), I think it to be a touch of diving without the water, a dash of gymnastics without the uniforms, a dose of fearlessness and preparedness for an occasional broken bone, a dollop of break-dancing, a smidge of oneupsmanship and an inspiration of striving to just take flight -- with a lot of inside language and names for moves that go over my head.

Alas and alack, I'm no longer anything close to fit. And even when I had a fighting chance, I wasn't really anything close to fit then either (my Presidential fitness scores dragged down my academic performance) and so my choices for high school gym electives leaned toward the golf and the archery (because, at least there if I was bad, I only made myself look the fool and didn't hurt a team). Who knows, if they could have covered the insurance and offered it, maybe I would have chosen to be a student of the parkour?!

JUMP CITY SEATTLE ON G4:

MADONNA's JUMP VIDEO ON YOUTUBE:

"ALL THE BEST" PARKOUR VIDEOS:



No comments:

Post a Comment