March 9, 2011

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 3/9/11

[Today's post comes with the following warning: possible blasphemy ahead!?]

Booty-free Bible.

Used in a sentence: "If you haven't heard, the latest version of the heavily Catholic used New American Bible has stricken the word 'booty' from its pages (it now will read 'spoils', as in 'of war') -- creating a Booty-free Bible to keep kids from snickering in Sunday School."

I grew up Methodist and was all up in the NIV -- but I've seen an RSV or King James or Living (ah, hippies) editions of the good book -- and I've been to a mass or two in my life (mostly on special occasions). All this talk of translation and debate over words makes me kind of wish I was friends with Mel so I could get the Aramaic slant on things.

And, to be honest, I snicker more in Genesis 38 when Onan defies the Levirate marriage and spills his seed on the ground instead of impregnating his dead brother's wife -- not that they ever illustrated that in Sunday School when I was younger.

Oh -- and will they fix the crown of thorns in the next edition? Because I hear that it's more likely it was acanthus leaves that grew in Jerusalem and not thorns, or so says provocateur Garry Wills.

And -- final thought ... can I infer from this change that Beyonce is the anti-Christ? Or maybe even JayZ (which is kind of like JC, if you know what I mean).

I'll stop now .. and go do penance (and monitor my friends list on FB to see if I lose any over this post ...)

THE BISHOPS DON'T WANT NO BOOTY:
http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=25363

LEARN ARAMAIC AT OXFORD (AND MAYBE YOU CAN BE IN A MEL GIBSON MOVIE):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/dec/21/aramaic-language-oxford-university

IT WAS A CROWN OF ACANTHUS LEAVES, SAYS HE:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/books/review/Gibson-t.html

No comments:

Post a Comment