February 26, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/26/11

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I did promise earlier in the week that I would tell my story about raising my voice a few decibels at the local Jewel.

The scene -- having returned from vacation to a Mrs. Hubbard's cupboards situation at home, I headed to my grocery store (Jewel) to fill up a cart of groceries. Like many establishments, they have a preferred card (to monitor your purchasing habits in a creepy big-brother kind of way) which entitles you to sale prices. Sometimes, one forgets to bring the card -- and the cashiers have access to a "fake one" that they enter on your behalf. Today was a day I forgot the card -- but today was also the beginning of the new policy that no more "fake card" use would be allowed.

"Unacceptable!", I said to the cashier. I told her to look at my cart, stuffed full of necessities (including new Guinness Black Lager!) as I explained that I wouldn't be paying what amounted to a "Jewel tax" just because I had left my card at home. A search in their system by phone number didn't pull up my information -- and so I was left with no options.

Well, not quite -- startling her and everyone around me, I leapt out of the line and, in my loudest stage voice possible (projecting -- it's like riding a bike!) ... I asked passing customers if I could borrow their card to beat this system. Finally, a woman (possibly frightened by my heightened sense of alarm and loud vocality) handed me her car keys (which also had her preferred card on it) and said timidly, "please don't take my car".

Crisis averted, I then came to learn that the manager was standing in the next aisle, stocking gum, listening to my ranting and doing nothing the whole time. Upon reflection, I get it. Using the "fake card" means that there was no information being tracked. And it's not the cashier's fault (she shared with me that she was told by management that if people push back, they are welcome to abandon their cart -- which, in a highly competitive market in a business with slim slim profit margins seems ludicrous), especially since she wasn't even old enough to scan my new Guinness Black Lager. I place all the blame with the manager -- whose own company doesn't trust him to have the discretion to avoid this type of situation.

Shame on you, timid manager. I may have come across as a little scary, but someone in your position needs to demonstrate that situational application of the policies and procedures is sometimes necessary.

NEW GUINNESS FINALLY IN CHICAGO:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/can-new-guinness-lager-live-up-to-the-legendary-name-1927432.html

SHELF vs SALE PRICES AT JEWEL:
http://www.mashupmom.com/?p=33983

MOTHER HUBBARD's CUPBOARDS FURNITURE:
http://www.mhcfurniture.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment